Interesting Facts about Familiar things
1. Money isn't made out of paper, it's made out of cotton.
2. The Declaration of Independence was written on hemp paper.
3. The dot over the letter i is called a "tittle".
4. A raisin dropped in a glass of fresh champagne will bounce up and down continuously from the bottom of the glass to the top.
5. Susan Lucci is the daughter of Phyllis Diller.
6. 40% of McDonald's profits come from the sales of Happy Meals.
7. 315 entries in Webster's 1996 Dictionary were misspelled.
8. The 'spot' on 7UP comes from its inventor, who had red eyes. He was albino.
9. On average, 12 newborns will be given to the wrong parents, daily.
10. Warren Beatty and Shirley MacLaine are brother and sister.
11. Chocolate affects a dog's heart and nervous system; a few ounces will kill a small sized dog, depending on the type of chocolate (really! petcaretips.net/chocolate-pois...soning-dog.html).
12. Orcas (killer whales) kill sharks by torpedoing up into the shark'sstomach from underneath, causing the shark to explode.13. Most lipstick contains fish scales (eeww).
14. Donald Duck comics were banned from Finland because he doesn't wear pants.
15. Ketchup was sold in the 1830s as medicine.
16. Upper and lower case letters are named 'upper' and 'lower' because in the time when all original print had to be set in individual letters, the 'upper case' letters were stored in the case on top of the case that stored the smaller, 'lower case' letters.
17. Leonardo da Vinci could write with one hand and draw with the other atthe same time ... hence, multi-tasking was invented.
18. Because metal was scarce, the Oscars given out during World War! IIwere made of wood.
19. There are no clocks in Las Vegas gambling casinos .. and in most establishments designed to fleece you.
20. The name Wendy was made up for the book Peter Pan; there was never arecorded Wendy before!
21. There are no words in the dictionary that rhyme with: orange, purple,and silver!
22. Leonardo Da Vinci invented scissors. Also, it took him 10 years to paint Mona Lisa's lips.
23. A tiny amount of liquor on a scorpion will make it instantly go mad andsting itself to death.
24. The mask used by Michael Myers in the original "Halloween" was a CaptainKirk mask painted white.
25. If you have three quarters, four dimes, and four pennies, you have$1.19. You also have the largest amount of money in coins without being ableto make change for a dollar (good to know.)
26. By raising your legs slowly and lying on your back, you can't sink inquicksand
27. The phrase "rule of thumb" is derived from an old English law, which stated that you couldn't beat your wife with anything wider than your thumb (sign of a true civilized society ... not.)
28. The first product Motorola started to develop was a record player forautomobiles. At that time, the most known player on the market was theVictrola, so they called themselves Motorola.
29. Celery has negative calories! It takes more calories to eat a piece ofcelery than the celery has in it to begin with, but it has nutrients that make it healthy to eat. (Guess what I'm buying on my next trip to the grocery store?)
30. Chewing gum while peeling onions will keep you from crying!
31. The glue on Israeli postage stamps is certified kosher.
32. Guinness Book of Records holds the record for being the book most oftenstolen from Public Libraries.
33. Astronauts are not allowed to eat beans before they go into spacebecause passing wind in a space suit damages it (families taking long cartrips should adopt this same policy.)